Friday, February 18, 2011

Would You Want This Teacher to Teach Your Child?

A recent high school teacher in the Philadelphia area was suspended after blogging many negative comments about her students. *See the story I posted below* Some of the comments included, "The students are disengaged, lazy whiners."  and many other derogatory comments.  However, she never used the the name of the kids or the school in any of her postings.
What do you think?  Is this teacher exercising her right to freedom of speech?
As a blogger myself, I strongly believe in freedom of speech, however, I also think that a high school teacher should be professional enough to know that what she writes on a blog can be read by anyone (including students).  That being said, I don't believe she should be fired for this but I can't say I would want my child to be in her classroom.
Perhaps this teacher is bringing up a much needed discussion about today's youth, however, I have worked in many classrooms and have seen great teachers and some not so great teachers. Frankly, I feel that this teacher is in the wrong profession.  Isn't it hypocritical to whine about your students whining?  What about the children who aren't whining? How much attention are they getting in this teacher's classroom?
 
The teaching profession is one of the most challenging jobs out there and I have a huge amount of respect for the teachers in our schools.  This story brings up the debate as to who is more responsible for our youth's behavior when they are at school.  Teachers feel that parents need to take more responsibility and parents often feel it's the teacher's responsibility. 

As much as I would love to think that more parents will teach their children to be more respectful and appreciative of their education, I am more inclined to think that there will always be those children in our classrooms.  I wish we had more teachers out there who set clear boundaries in their classroom and show their kids kindness and sensitivity.  Perhaps the kids (and their parents) could learn a thing or two from a teachers who instills and demonstrates these values in and out of her classroom. 
If anything good comes out of this story, I hope that certain parents take some responsibility for the children that are causing disruption in the classroom, making it difficult for other students to learn. Also, I hope that teachers who are burned out look for another profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment