Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Why I miss being a wife


My life has been pretty crazy over the last few years since my divorce but I'm finally getting back on the right track.  Being a single parent has taught me a lot of things that have made me a better person overall.  Not only have I learned some hard knock lessons along the way but I've also had some great experiences as well... 

I've invented a new contraption that allows me to catch dead mice...

I've made a new car purchase all by myself...
I've learned to ask for help. 

I've learned to not take life so seriously.  

I've learned to not judge other parents. 

 I'm so thankful for these experiences but I'm ready to move on.

 I miss marriage.  
I miss having the traditional family unit.  
I miss asking my husband to slow dance in the kitchen and listening to him tell me about his day after work.

I miss swinging my toddler between the 2 of us as she holds both our hands when we're walking.
  
I miss giving him the "special plate" because he had a tough day or got a promotion.  

I miss waking up next to someone I love.

I miss wearing my wedding ring.  

I miss that annoying sports center jingle on ESPN (I never thought I'd say that)

I miss acting stupid about house repairs..


I miss doing rock, paper, scissors when I don't want to take my daughter back to her room for the 15th time.

I miss sharing in dreams about vacations to Greece or retirement homes.

I miss folding down the covers on his side of the bed.


(my daughter's unicorn doesn't appreciate my attentiveness)

I miss celebrating anniversaries and finding clever ways to say I love you.

I miss putting out his coffee cup in the morning. 

I miss holding hands.


I miss waiting for someone to get home on those long days when the house seems dark and quiet.

I miss someone telling me that I'm being over-dramatic when my emotions are out of control.

I miss folding his laundry. (I know, what am I saying?!?!)


I miss being in the passenger's seat and not being in charge every single minute.


 I miss going to church and having someone by my side when I pray.

I miss having someone tell me I'm doing the right thing when life hands you those REALLY tough decisions.

I miss someone knowing my crazy family and loving them anyway.

I miss the comfort of knowing someone so well and having them know everything about me (the good the bad and the ugly) and still they enjoy life by my side.


I miss knowing that someone is thinking of me even when we can't see each other.

I miss watching my wedding video and looking at my wedding pictures with pride.


I miss hearing him 'sigh' because I'm talking to much while he's trying to focus on something.

I miss having history with someone and saying "Remember when..."

Life is crazy sometimes and we all experience loneliness in different capacities throughout our lives.  I know that someday I will meet Mr. Right (hopefully soon!) but until then 
I will hold onto my sense of humor and enjoy learning about the only person that can truly make me happy...me.

Does this make you laugh, cry or inspire you? 

Join the gratitude challenge email list today! 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks so much Darla! Hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is pretty thought provoking stuff. I want to send you a supportive message but am at a bit of a loss of what to put. I am, after all a total stranger. If we were real life friends I would make you a cup of tea, and we would sit down with a slice of cake and chat. So I'm sending you a virtual tea, cake and chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JULIA! THanks so much for your comment!! You made my day! Thanks for sharing and your support!! You're awesome!

      Delete
  3. I am also a single mom, and I can completely relate to this. Everything you said is so true! I miss being a wife too! But the contraption for dead mice is hilarious. I've had to learn to kill spiders on my own... Eeeek! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Sarah!! It's humbling for sure!

      Delete
  4. BRAVO! My child's dad and I separated for a while last year and I had no idea how different things would be without him around. We got pregnant 3 months after meeting.YIKES..and had to learn about each other and raising a child at the same time which was difficult. The separation made us appreciate each other way more though. Being a single mom is hard and extremely time consuming. I have so much appreciation for single moms and now when I meet someone who is a single mom I always make sure I go out of my way to offer help in any way I can. Even if it is taking their kid to get ice cream with us so that she has a few minutes of peace in her life. Thanks for linking up at Totally Terrific Tuesday. Make sure you come back Monday night at 10pm to link up any new posts!! http://www.liverandomlysimple.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure why i didn't see this before!! thanks for your comment!!! yes, it's an experience for sure!

      Delete
  5. Even through your struggle and 'loss' I appreciate the fact that you can be grateful for where you are in life. Having just talked to you on Blab, your grateful heart rubbed off to make me look at what I can be grateful for. Even if it was just for the memories of better times, and meeting a grateful person. :)

    You're appreciated, and you're doing the 'good works' that we're commanded to do. Thank you for the encouragement tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Even though I'm the 'gratitude coach'. My challenges are just as real as anyones elses and I really appreciate your comment! You just made my day!

      Delete