Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Undo Day

Today was one of those days when I wish that I could have just pressed the 'undo button' and erased all my mistakes.  It just seemed like I was making one mistake after another, losing my patience, not getting things done, saying the wrong things and not being productive, etc.
Everyone has those days but isn't it ironic that when our children make a mistake we tell them "It's OK, everyone makes mistakes and it doesn't mean they are a bad kid" Yet when we make a mistake we immediately have a "bad mom" flag pop up in our minds.  Why can't we be kinder and gentler to ourselves?  Why can't we follow our own advice?  It's human nature to catastrophize things at times by jumping to extremes but it's important to catch yourself and say, "Wait a minute.  This isn't the end of the world."  If we don't stop ourselves, we are likely to get depressed, have anxiety, or use other things (alcohol, shopping, etc.) to band aid our feelings (which of course only makes matters worse). 

Lately I have been journaling a lot.  Journaling really helps me to process my thoughts and recreate my life.  It sounds silly but I actually write letters to myself as if I'm my own best friend (which is my ultimate goal)  It's amazing how nice I am to myself when I pretend to be someone else!! 

Tonight I took the girls to Peace of Pizza for dinner then "car danced" to Motley Crue on the way home (I know... mother of the year teaching my daughter the song 'Smokin in the Boys Room'!)Then I came home and rocked this little cutie in the rocking chair....

and had ice cream with this cutie...

















THEN some mommy cuddle time...
then some ME time....

Is my life so bad???? No, not at all!  When I have a day that does not seem to go my way, I remind myself that I'm allowed to make mistakes too.....and it doesn't make me a bad mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment