Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What can we learn from the death of an icon? Great video!


I'm just like everyone else today, staring at the pictures and watching videos of Robin Williams wondering why? How?  How could the person that made the whole world smile and laugh uncontrollably be so sad?  
It just doesn't make sense.
Suddenly, this famous, amazing celebrity seems just like you and me.  He was hurting.  He was vulnerable.  He didn't feel valued.  How can that be?  In so many ways, he was just like you and me...trying to make sense of this crazy world.

I grew up in the 80's and I remember crying and laughing while watching many of his great movies.  Mrs. Doubtfire was my favorite.  Most of his movies had you believing that he really was the part that he played.  
Now, with this tragic twist, we see someone who made everyone else happy end his own life.  It's so hard to comprehend.  
It makes us think about our own lives and the people we love.  Who do we know that is hurting so badly and so afraid to let anyone know?  It might also make us think about times when we thought we were worthless ourselves.
To me, comedy seems like a great healthy tool to deal with sadness...but why wasn't it enough? 
What was missing in his life? 



The part that is really hard for me to understand is that he WAS reaching out for help and it wasn't enough.  If ROBIN WILLIAMS wasn't able to find the best damn psychologists, psychiatrists, and rehabs to help him out of his depression, what about all the other people fighting this war?  Where do they turn for help?

I have battled depression myself many times throughout my life.  In fact, I was first diagnosed and started anti depressants at age 12.  Since then, I have been on and off anti depressants many times throughout my life as well as having seen many therapists.  Some of the worst times were after my children were born and when I was going through a divorce.  Fortunately, I have always been able to get the help I needed.

If you know me well enough than you know that I always look for the silver lining, even in tragedy.  I believe that this tragedy will bring awareness regarding depression and suicide.  Maybe not only save lives but also create a better life for people that are hurting.  I believe that even in Robin's death he will help people by allowing them to realize that they are not alone.  If the funniest, most talented man in the world can feel like he isn't worthy of living, then it may allow people to see that they aren't alone and what they are feeling may not be a reality.  It may make them see that death is a long term solution to a short term problem.  My hope is that it encourages people to reach out for help and  remind them that they are put on this earth because they are worthy and amazing.  

But finally, I found something that really makes sense to me...check out this video..
awesome video about depression

No comments:

Post a Comment