Saturday, June 14, 2014

Motivational Monday! Say yes to the mess



Breakups can be so lonely and isolating but it's important to remember that things will get better!  I remember literally dropping to my knees on the kitchen floor after my separation. I had no idea how I was ever going to get through this.  I felt like I couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of me and I could not get my head around the fact that I was a single mom going through a divorce.

The good news is that if you choose to say yes to the mess (pain and suckiness) and just accept that fact that it's going to suck for a little while, you will feel so strong and empowered when you come out on the other side.  Break ups give you a tremendous opportunity for growth.  Here are some things that helped me get through that difficult time.

1.  Laughing.  I love watching Jimmy Fallon show clips.  You can follow him on Facebook to see his hilarious segments.  Beware...you might pee your pants from laughing so hard.

2.  Music. Find a great playlist and include songs like this one...Happy by Pharrell.  I dare you to get up and start dancing by yourself!

3.  Volunteering.  How can you not feel better when you are helping someone?  It will take your mind off of things and make you feel good!

4.  My kids. Kids can be a great break from thinking too much-their silliness, simple perspective, and adorable ideas make it hard to take anything to seriously.

5.  Therapy (with a GOOD therapist)  This has been sooooo helpful in my divorce journey.  Don't try to do this alone. It's so helpful to talk to someone that has a fresh perspective and won't give you their opinion only help you solve your own problems. A good therapist will hold you accountable for your own actions and give you tools to be happier and more successful.



No comments:

Post a Comment